Monday, November 16, 2009

Better Home Remedies

Please do write in with any suggestions if I'm leaving something out (and I know I am). I'll be updating this as I go.

  • Colds & Flus - Cold Care Herbal Tea, Vitamin C, Garlic, Echinacea (1/2-1 t tincture every 2 hours or tea), Zinc, Elderberry Syrup, Astragalus (tincture, capsules, or use slices in soups & rice. Remove before serving), Thyme, Tulsi (tea ingredient), Licorice (tea ingredient, avoid if you have high blood pressure), Avoid Dairy, Drink Chicken Broth
  • Congestion - Vicks (on the chest or feet at bedtime), A Steamer/Humidifier, Hot Shower/Bath, Eucalyptus (use a few drops in steamers or baths), Ginger, Sage, Avoid Dairy
  • Diarrhea - Electrolyte Solution, (Avoid sweets, dairy, caffeine, & high-fiber/fatty foods)
  • Energize - Citrus Potpourri
  • Fever - Cayenne Pepper, Elder Flower Tea
  • Headache - Green or Herbal Tea (not decaf)
  • Heartburn - Water w/Fresh Lemon Juice
  • Sore Throat/Cough - Spoonful of Honey, Mullein Tea, Ginger, Slippery Elm (lozenges or tea), Sage, Licorice (tea ingredient, avoid if you have high blood pressure), Avoid Dairy
  • Stress - Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Grapes, Mango, Basil

2 comments:

  1. A steamer also kicks ass for congestion. It took me about 5 days for my cold to come and go away and I feel like things would've been worse without that thing. It kept both my nose and chest "moisturized"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I added it. Quick Q: When you said steamer did you mean when you sit with hot water & a towel to let the steam set in (used in aromatherapy) or the use of a humidifier?

    ReplyDelete