Sunday, January 3, 2010

My First Meetup

Back in December I decided I needed to get out more. As sorry as I am to say it, sitting inside waiting for new friends to drop through the ceiling wasn't working out for me too well.

Well, after a few bumps in the road I was FINALLY able to attend my first meetup last night. Let me just say it was the most fun I've had in probably a month.

In case you're curious meetup.com is not a dating site at all. It's a place for social groups online. In fact my meetup was men-free. Of course being a single moms group might have had something to do with that.


I was actually able to try something I'd been wanting to do for a long time- sushi rolling! Yes, you read that right. This super awesome group of single mothers got together and we all figured out how to wrap sushi. Who cares if they weren't perfect? They were still drned tasty. I think I'd eat sushi every day if I could. (Little tip: Cream cheese is AWESOME to add!) We all brought beverages of some sort, a filling, and anything extra if we wanted. I might have gone a little overboard in packing "the right" drink but meh, live and learn.


Also, since it was after Christmas we did a white elephant yankee gift swap. I got a spiffy new pen set.


We ended the night with karaoke on the Wii. I sang Space Oddity and an off-key version of Lily Allen's Smile. As you can imagine that song was a nice topic for conversation, despite my horrid high note skills. There's a reason I took vocal lessons last term- and it isn't because I'm a music major.

Oh, in other news I decided to take the plunge, not give up on myself, and transfer to a completely different college. I'm skipping the hassle this time by going for something I'll actually enjoy- graphic design or IT if needed. I have orientation on Friday.

So...

Yay! *squeak* ^-^

1 comment:

  1. Aww I'm glad your meet up was fun. I joined a single mom meetup but all they ever do is meet up at a childrens museum monthly. I wish they had more activities like this that could keep both the children and the moms entertained.

    ReplyDelete